Thursday, February 16, 2017

How to deal with your stoma during the heat of the day

It may be a little chilly right now but soon the whole hemisphere will heat up a bit and we will start thinking about beaches and long hikes.  It doesn't take long before it all happens either.  In my neck of the woods, the weather just jumped about 20 degrees and it is toasty outside.  Now it is time for me to break out of the closet and get things sorted for a different kind of look and feel for me.  What this means is lots of new changes have occurred and should probably happen if you have a stoma.  Now you are going to probably freak out and go on a social media rampage to think about keeping up with the new season's fashion.  It really just means that I am going to be wearing slightly tighter clothes and also that I may be sweating a bit more than normal.  So there are a few  good things you can do to make sure that your stoma is fitting in with your fashion style and allowing you to live your best life. So get your shop on.

Now gear is what drives a lot of the ability for me to be fashionable.  I mus trust my gear and also have the best fitting gear in teh world for my body.  That is the key. Your body is going to be special and your stoma shape may change how you shop or where you get your things from.  The first thing I like to make sure of is that my ostomy care is coming first.  There is nothing worse than actually being in trouble for not planning ahead and taking care of an area that I know I should. So for me, I like to make sure I have the right equipment on when I know I am going to be outside a little more or it's going to be a litt


le hotter.  This means for me that I will likely put a bag on that has belt loops.  This allows me to then get an ostomy belt and protective cover to go around the bag and hold it tighter to my body.  I do a lot of hardcore things so protection matters to me.  It may sound a bit strange but to me, there is nothing better than knowing my body is looking sleek during the summer.  Being able to strap my bag down helps it from moving around and allows me to wear slightly tighter fitting clothing.  Not that is not the most important part but making sure my ostomy care gear is also water moisture wicking is a big deal. I don't like those sweat stains or sticking on my bag and body.


I really don’t like my skin sweating and feeling gross all the time.  So It really matters to me to get some really good moisture-wicking gear. This has always mattered to me though way before I had an ostomy.  Being able to be comfortable in warmer weather is important and you don’t want to rub to occur in areas causing extra friction, especially if you have a stoma.  So rock the summer body and find the right gear that fits your body.  If you don’t have good moisture wicking gear and are getting rashes, you need to contact your healthcare provider to figure out a better solution or simply a safe solution. 


No comments:

Post a Comment